Okay so the entire family left to take the dogs for a walk like 30 minutes ago. I hate the dogs so I never go.
So I'm sitting in my room watching Modern Family (just started watching, hilarious btw) when the doorbell rings.
The way the house is set up is that there is the front door, then like...a gate outside of that, so you have to buzz people in. So I open the door to see who is there and there are these two old people standing outside the gate. I tell them (in Spanish) that the family isn't here, and expect them to go away. They say more stuff and I tell them I don't speak Spanish. They keep gesturing at the gate like I should let them in and its like, I'm not supposed to let strangers in...? But since they are old I feel like I can take them if they decide to rob this bitch.
So they are coming up the steps and say some more stuff in Spanish and I figure out that they are Mercedes' parents whom I've never met bc they've been in Menorca or something all summer and just got back. Menorca is this island off the coast, in my mind its like the Florida of Spain--you know, where all the old people go.
So I realize this and am like "oh!! Los padres de Mercedes! si si si si si" (si is my go to phrase when I barely know whats going on and need to fill the awkward air, so i just say it like 50x to make sure everyone knows I am understanding). So I introduce myself and they tell me their names (I forget them already), and then they go into the living room. So I come back to my room to regroup. I mean I know I should talk to them, they are just chillin out there but they obviously don't speak English so the interacting possibilities are minimal. So I think for a second about my minor spanish skills, then go back out there and ask them if they are here for dinner. They say yes and that they are going to barbeque. Sweet! So of course I say si 50 more times and tell them I like barbeque. Then once again I retire to my room because I have reached my Spanish quota for the day.
Aaaaaand now I'm in my room, while they sit in the living room watching TV, hoping that Mercedes and fam comes back with the dogs really soon. Because I am awkwardly being unfriendly when I don't want to be. And I want Mercedes to come back so I can explain to her and then she can explain to them that I really am not a bitch (not today at least) and just don't know how to handle the situation. Honestly, could they not have warned me we were having company!? Jesus.
My life is one fail after another in this place.
Not going to lie, your blog is pretty much the highlight of my life right now. So funny.
ReplyDeleteHope things keep getting better for you :)