So the family left to go to Chicago until Tuesday so I have the house to myself. Yay!
This means I have to cook for myself, which I am kind of excited about and kind of nervous about. I don't know what half the stuff is in the fridge, nor do I know how to cook it. So I tonight I reverted back to basics and decide to make something with basic ingredients: french toast.
There is no vanilla extract anywhere in the kitchen, so I skip that ingredient. There is no ground cinnamon, only cinnamon sticks, so I grab one of those. But I have eggs, milk, bread, and a shitload of syrup should this turn out horribly and I need to mask the flavor. Can't go wrong!
So I mix up the eggs and milk, and try to add the cinnamon. However in its stick form I'm not exactly sure how to handle it. So I just try to break it up as much as I can and drop it in the batter. "Break it up as much as I can" means there are like half-inch pieces floating around in there. Delicious? Oh, and I added some random honey I found in the cabinet, maybe to make up for the lack of vanilla? I do not ask myself why. I just do.
So the stove is all heated up and I'm ready to go! I dip the bread in the batter and make sure I use a fork to ever-so-gently place some pieces of cinnamon on top. I put it on the pan, but let me point out that the big burner on the stove is broken, so I only have the little one to use. So its really hot in the middle of the pan, and not so hot on the outside. So I have to rotate the toast 4 times while its cooking. Yep, that happened. Cooking 2 pieces at a time means I'm a rotating machine! Then I have to flip it and do it all over again!
So I'm all done cooking and its actually not that bad! I loaded them up with syrup and powdered sugar of course. The cinnamon pieces kind of taste like bark, though. And I can't really chew them so they are tearing the lining of my stomach as I write this. So minus my eventual trip to the hospital to combat that little problem I made myself a delicious meal. WIN!
No comments:
Post a Comment